To professionalize the Legal Service as experts on health laws and integrity issues of the Department of Health to better serve the health workers and the public.
By 2013, the Legal Service is the premiere legal arm of the Department of Health and is a catalyst towards an accountable and responsive health department that showcase integrity and better service delivery.
Mandate and General Functions
- Review of DOH Contracts and other agreements;
- Provide the Secretary and other DOH Officials with legal advice on all policies, programs and operational matters of the Department;
- Act as Chairman of Hearing Committees in the conduct of hearings on administrative cases;
- Conduct Preliminary Investigations on administrative complaints pursuant to AO No. 2009-0019;
- Act as PROSECUTOR in the conduct of formal investigations in administrative cases pending before Central Office, CHDs, hospitals/ medical centers and other attached agencies;
- Review of appealed decisions from the CHDs and hospitals on administrative cases;
- Review of appealed decisions from the CHDs on consumer cases;
- Provide legal assistance on matters affecting policies, enforcement and administration of DOH laws, rules and regulations;
- Act as LEGAL COUNSEL of the Secretary;
- Act as legal adviser for DOH Committees;
- Represent the Department in court cases in collaboration with the Office of the Solicitor General;
- Provide legal counseling regarding the enforcement and application of health laws and regulations;
- Perform other legal functions as may be assigned by the Secretary