Embalming is the funeral custom of cleaning and disinfecting bodies after death. It has been part of the funeral parlors so with our lives. For the past decades, embalming has been undergoing profound transformational events, not only in the Philippines but worldwide. Today, embalming is also considered an art. It is done to preserve the dead body from natural decomposition and for restoration for a more pleasing appearance. Likewise, the procedure is significant for restoration of evidences such as in medico-legal cases.
These changes were made possible by the multitudes of forces converging in the national as well as the local levels, which is impacting on the quality of embalming practice in the country. Embalmers today should therefore, be looked up to, because of the significant manifold tasks they are rendering including the counseling assistance they are providing the bereaved parties.
The Department of Health (DOH) created the CEUE to regulate embalming practice in the country. The creation was made possible by Presidential Decree (PD) No. 856 "Code of Sanitation of the Philippines" Chapter XXI "Disposal of Dead Persons" and Executive Order No. 102 s. 1999 "Rationalization and Streamlining Plan of the DOH".
To ensure that only qualified individuals enter the regulated profession and that the care and services which the embalmers provide are within the standards of practice, the DOH-CEUE created:
1. CEUE Resolution No. 2011-001 - Three Year Transition Period for Compliance of Administrative Order No. 2010-0033.
2. Memorandum dated August 10, 2010 - to the Centers for Health Development (CHDs) Human Resource Development Units (HRDUs) regarding Updates on the Committee of Examiners for Undertakers and Embalmers (CEUE) Program.
3. Administrative Order No. 2010-0033 - Revised Implementing Rules and Regulations of PD 856 Chapter XXI Governing Disposal of Dead Persons
4. CEUE Resolution No. 2010-001 - Adoption of the Code of Ethics for Embalmers in the Philippines
5. CEUE Resolution No. 2009-001 - Creation of the Committee for Continuing Embalmers Education Council (CEEC)
6. CEUE Resolution No. 2008-001 - Conduct of Licensure Examination for Embalmers in Centers for Health Development (CHDs) to conduct a simultaneous licensure examination in the Central Office and the CHDs with a minimum of 50 examinees for cost effectiveness.
7. Department Memorandum No. 2008-0009 - Designation of DOH Human Resource Development Units (DOH-HRDUs) as Coordinators for Embalmers Program" to facilitate immediate response to queries and complaints regarding the embalming practice.
8. CEUE Resolution No. 2008-001 - Accredited Training Institutions and Training Providers for Embalmers for CY 2008-2011 to regulate existing and potential training providers and training institutions for embalmers for the enhancement and maintenance of its professional standards.
9. CEUE Resolution No. 2008-002 - Extension of Moratorium as per CEUE Resolution No. 2007-001.
10. CEUE Resolution No. 2007-001 - Moratorium on the Non-renewal of Licenses of Embalmers for the past five (5) years and over with the aim of providing chance to licensed embalmers who were unable tio renew their licenses for the past five years and over.
11. Administrative Order No. 2007-0020 - Policies and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Training Institutions, Training Programs and Training Providers for Embalmers in the Philippines with the aim of institutionalizing the continuing education program for embalmers in the country. Hence, to ensure the maintenance of efficient, ethical and technical, moral and professional standards in its practice, taking into account the quality of care to be rendered to respective clientele. At the same time, the regulation ensures the global competitiveness of the Filipino embalmers.
12. Department Circular No. 2007-0139 - Reiteration on the observance of precautionary measures in the disposal of dead persons.
Chapter XXI "Disposal of Dead Persons" mandate the CEUE to monitor and enforce quality standards of embalming practice in the Philippines and exercise the powers necessary to ensure the maintenance of efficient, ethical and technical, moral and professional standards in its practice, taking into account the quality of care to be rendered to respective clientele. At the same time, the regulations ensure the global competitiveness of the Filipino embalmers.
Nationwide information dissemination of the following:
- Administrative Order No. 2010 - 0033 (Disposal of Dead Persons)
- Curriculum for licensure examinations
- Manuals for Licensure Examinations
- Code of Ethics
- March 25, 2011 - National Capital Region
- May 3, 2011 - Visayas Region (Iloilo City)
- May 13, 2011 - Mindanao Regions (Cagayan de Oro City)
- June 30, 2011 - Butuan City (upon request)
- August 25, 2011 - Aklan (upon request)
Dr. Josephine Hipolito / Ms. Winsell Joy Manalo
Health Human Resource Development Bureau
Phone No: 651-7800 local 4204/4227