Franklin C. Diza, MD, MPH
Cardiovascular Disease (CVD), cancers chronic respiratory diseases and diabetes (DM) are among the top killers in the Philippines, causing more than half of all deaths annually. Hypertension and diseases of the heart are among the ten leading causes of illnesses each year. These diseases are collectively known as Lifestyle Related Non-communicable diseases (NCDs), as defined in the National Objectives for health, particularly because these diseases have common risk factors which are to large extent related to unhealthy lifestyle.
The prevention and control of chronic lifestyle related non-communicable diseases shall be guided by the following policy statements.
1. The country shall adopt an integrated, comprehensive and community based response for the prevention and control of chronic, lifestyle related NCDs.
2. Health promotion strategies shall be intensified to effect changes that would lead to significant reduction in mortality and morbidity due to chronic lifestyle related NCDs.
3. Complementary accountabilities of all stakeholders must be ensured and actively pursued in the implementation of an integrated, comprehensive and community based response to chronic lifestyle related NCDs.
1. Decrease of morbidity and mortality
2. Decrease in the economic burden of CVDs to the individual, family and community
· Adopted in the context of health promotion in order to decrease the chances of the targeted population to adopt high risk behaviours and habits that may lead to the development of cardiovascular disease
· Will be implemented by setting:
Training, research, environmental support system are important components of the progress
STATUS OF IMPLEMENTATION / ACTION
Program is well in place and its implementation is continuous. Focus of implementation is in the community level and other settings.
· Development of Administrative Order on the National Policy on the integrated chronic non-communicable disease registry system (cancer, stroke, DM and COPD).
· 1st public hearing on the Administrative Order on the National Policy on the integrated chronic non-communicable disease registry system with CHD-NCR, government and private hospitals and non-government agencies.
· Trained hospitals for the registry system entitled “Users” training for the Unified Registry System.
· Trained CHDs for the Registry system.
· Establishment of Philippine Coalition on the prevention and control of NCD.
· A training manual for health workers on promoting healthy lifestyle.
· Healthy lifestyle advocacy campaign.
· Manual of operations on the prevention and control lifestyle related non-communicable diseases in the Philippines.
· Training manual for Health workers: WHO/ DOH smoking cessation clinic: Helping smokers quit.
· Implement the program through the institutionalized integrated program of NCD-lifestyle related diseases control program.
· Development of service package for cardiovascular diseases.
· Development of clinical practice guideline for cardiovascular disease.
· Development of strategic framework and five year strategic plan for cardiovascular disease (2012-2016).
To ensure that quality prevention and control and LRD services are accessible to all, especially to the vulnerable and at-risk population.
A nation of Filipinos with healthy lifestyle and habits, living and working in clean and safe environment and with access to adequate medical care for CVD.